Have there ever been moments in your life when you KNEW you had to make a career change? You wake up in the morning and dread going into the office and interacting with your coworkers. So, in an attempt to find out why you have this unwanted sense of unfulfillment, you decide to pivot towards something.
Rather than going outside your comfort zone, you decide to stay in your current job sector – something familiar. You go from an elementary school teacher to a middle school teacher until finally settling as a high school teacher. And yes, this is a totally dramatic example, but you get the picture!
So, it’s important to be intentional when deciding what your next job is.
When you make a ton of pivots in your career because you feel stuck, you draw out the pain longer.
When we feel stuck, we have a bad habit of talking ourselves out of believing that we’re feeling that “stuckness.” We reason with ourselves that this feeling, this pain, will eventually pass. But, spoiler alert, it won’t.
For many, there’s a sense of fear and embarrassment when you feel that you should’ve been able to recognize that you made a bad choice earlier. We don’t want to admit to ourselves that maybe we’ve made a mistake. But it’s so, so important that you do. Why?
Because once that happens, you can start working together towards what is right for you.
So, here are some crucial steps when wanting to be so intentional about your pivot:
- Sit down, preferably with a pen and paper, and visualize the kind of life you want 3-5 years from now. Basically, we want you to be able to see into your own future.
- Need some inspo? Don’t worry, we’ve got you, sis! Here are some of the buckets our clients typically use: mental health, physical health, family, career, finances, etc.
- Understand what your core values are. Your job doesn’t have to fulfill all of your core values, it just can’t actively violate any of them.
- Take a look into your current job and see where it’s supporting or violating your core values.
- Looks at the prior positions you’ve held and look at the same thing. There might be some surprising trends in the jobs that you haven’t enjoyed because they favor a particular core value.
- Make a list of potential jobs with your core values. And think about why you haven’t pursued a job in that sector.
- Typically, it’s due to the dissonance between what your mind defines as success and the definition you choose to live out. And, you might need the aid of a therapist when figuring out how that dissonance affects your life.
A lot of times, people are scared to pivot because they’re unsure if they can afford to switch over to this new job. Or they’re afraid to find out what they like to do may not be what they got their degree in. But tons of people don’t end up doing what they went to school for AND STILL MAKE A LOT OF MONEY.
Those two things aren’t mutually exclusive – even though corporate america wants you to believe that.
Identifying that you’re stuck and need to pivot is the first step. And if you’re unsure about your next steps, our Pivot Intensive Workshop is perfect for you! By providing you with a list of core values, we can help you find the values that resonate with you and the values that repel you.
You can grab tickets or learn more about the workshop on our website sidebizsmart.com. And just for our podcast listeners, we’ve got a special deal for you: 50% off the Pivot Intensive using the Code SP50 at checkout!
So, whether your next step is another career or entrepreneurship, we strongly believe that there is a better life out there for you. And our 4-hour workshop can help you plan the roadmap for that success. Even if it’s just saying out loud that it’s time to make a change, that’ll be incredibly valuable. And know that we’ll be here, cheering you on.
Wanna listen to the full episode? Grab it on Spotify and Apple Podcasts.
Looking for entrepreneurial tips and biz advice? Follow us on IG or Tik Tok @sidebizsmart.
Want to follow the host? Find Janelle here: @heyjnicole on Tik Tok or Instagram.
Interested in programs and pivot advice, take a look at our website: https://sidebizsmart.com/.